Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Peak at My Quilting Progress


Remember when I said that I was going to make a quilt? Here's proof that I am actually doing it! I officially have 12 blocks done, with 8 more to go before I can start adding sashing and assembling the quilt top.  


I decided on a very traditional star pattern in a simple, solid color palette of dark navy on bone white, with warm grayish tan sashing between the blocks. With the THOUSANDS of colors and patterns of fabric available in quilting shops, and after what my husband would probably describe as THOUSANDS of hours of waiting in the car while I tried to make up my mind, I of course end up with 3 fairly neutral solid colors. But this quilt is going to be very "me", and that's what I like about it.



I wasn't sure about choosing a pattern with so many little triangles and points for my very first quilting attempt, but so far it is turning out really well - and the magic of opening up that finished block and revealing a perfect 8 pointed star is well worth the effort! Speaking of effort...


Each finished block is made up of 4 "flying geese" pieces, which each have 2 little navy squares sewn onto the corners...


...which are then folded back and pressed into place to make little triangles. One finished flying geese block.


With 20 blocks in the finished quilt, and 4 flying geese units per block, and 2 little squares sewn on each of those... I have now cut, sewn, and pressed 160 little navy squares! And that's just getting the pieces ready to start actually putting together blocks. Whew!


This Saturday I have another get-together with my quilting girls, so hopefully I can finish the rest of my blocks and start assembling!

4 comments:

  1. I love to quilt and I love the simplicity of the colors of your block, even though they look simple the precision of making the black triangles match up is hard isn't it?? At least for me I have a hard time with my triangles being perfect. Can't wait to see the finished quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I see black not navy.......I need my glasses,!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love quilts, and this will be wonderful. Great clean and simple block choice. It's a lot of work to make a quilt, I'm looking forward to see your progress. xo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh, that is going to be so pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...